It is crucial that you recognize the fact that domestic violence is against the law.
It is a crime in all states, though each state’s laws are a little different. The advocates at the Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clarita are dedicated to supplying our clients with the proper legal resources according to the situation. It is extremely important that you know your rights in a domestic violence situation:
- You have the right to be treated with fairness, dignity, sensitivity and respect.
- You have the right to attend and be present at criminal justice proceedings.
- You have the right to be heard in the criminal justice process, including the right to confer with the prosecutor and submit a victim impact statement at sentencing, parole and other similar proceedings.
- You have the right to be informed of proceedings and events in the criminal justice process, including the release or escape of the offender, legal rights and remedies, available benefits and services, access to records, referrals and other information.
- You have the right to protection from intimidation and harassment.
- You have the right to restitution from the offender.
- You have the right to privacy.
- You have the right to apply for crime victim compensation.
- You have the right to the expeditious return of personal property seized as evidence whenever possible.
- You have the right to a speedy trial and other proceedings free from unreasonable delay.
- You have the right to enforcement of these rights and access to other available remedies.
GET HELP NOW
If you are unsure where to begin, start here:
IF YOU ARE IN DANGER, PLEASE CALL 911
Please use a computer in a safe location. Our “emergency exit” on the left-hand side of the page can redirect you in the event of any urgency to leave this web page.